Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

PostGraduation Work Permits (PGWPs) are for international students who have graduated from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). PGWPs are open work permits, meaning that they grant foreign nationals the freedom to work for any employer, anywhere in Canada.

A post-graduation work permit may be issued based on the length of the study program for a minimum of 8 months up to a maximum of 3 years.

When determining the length of a post-graduation work permit, officers may consider the duration of the program of study in Canada and confirm it with supporting documents. Regularly scheduled breaks (for example, scheduled winter and summer breaks) should be included in the time accumulated toward the length of the post-graduation work permit.


This section also gives guidance on
  • Determining the length of the post-graduation work permit
  • Accelerated studies
  • Applicants impacted by a designated learning institution (DLI) strike
  • Distance learning
  • Transfers between educational institutions
  • Programs with an overseas component
  • International graduate have continuously studied full-time for the eight months preceding the completion of their program.
  • Apply after 90 days of graduation
  • Have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.

BCPNP IG Project Advantages

  • No work and tax record
  • No need LMIA
  • Real and available Job Offer
  • Work and live in Vancouver
  • Getting employed in Canada is the new trend
When applying for a PGWP you can expect to wait for 2 to 3 months.
You can work any job and anywhere in Canada

Application Process

Study Permit

To apply for a study permit in Canada, you must get accepted to a qualified designated learning institution (DLI).

Work while studying (option)

When studying in Canada you can work on-campus, off-campus, and apply to internships.

Post-Graduate Work Permit

1. Apply for Post-Graduate Work Permit

2.You PGWP is based on how long your studies were!

Candian Experience Class

The best option for graduates in this scenario usually applies for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) which is through Express Entry.

Canada PR

Once your score is the cut-off score or higher within an Express Entry draw, you will recieve an ITA (invitation to apply) allowing you to apply for Canada PR.

Making an application

Applicants must apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) within 180 days of obtaining written confirmation, such as an official letter or transcript, from the designated learning institution (DLI) indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.

Calculation of the 180 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first. The onus is on the applicant to provide proof of the date the transcript is received. Officers may also confirm this date with the DLI.

Applicants may apply for a PGWP from within Canada if

  • ♦ their study permit is still valid
  • ♦ they have a valid visitor record because they changed their status to visitor status before their study permit expired, while waiting for their notice of graduation from their institution, or simply to remain in Canada. However, they would not be eligible to work while waiting for a decision on their PGWP application.
  • ♦they are on implied status, meaning they submitted an application to extend or change their status to visitor or student before the expiry date of their study permit and no decision has been made

Applicants whose study permit becomes invalid or expires must either

  • ♦leave Canada and apply for a post-graduation work permit from overseas, or
  • ♦apply to restore their status as a student by applying for a PGWP with the correct fees ($255) and paying the fees to restore their status as a student ($350)

Immigration Form